Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quick check in.

A few years ago I saw a teacher use an Exit Ticket system to quickly check who "got it or didn't get it". I loved the idea and my fellow second grade teacher, Stephanie, and I started using them as a quick assessment after math lessons. Most of the time we would use simple scraps of paper. Like most children, some of our students would forget to put their names on them (After many reminders and even a catchy song!) and others would lose them in the walk from their desk to ours. :) One of my projects this summer was to create an Exit Ticket organizer that could keep the tickets organized. 
Materials: large poster board, paint samples squares, and electric tape.  I like using the electric tape because you can lift and fix easily and it has a nice shine to it.  Then I cut small slips and placed a paper clip in each square. My students are "numbered and colored" for quick grouping and organization purposes. The blue title is placed in a plastic sheet so I can put the exit ticket question in it easily.  I can quickly assess who has and hasn't put their ticket up. I also have the students put their sticky notes in backwards so they can't see each others answers. I think I will use the same one for all subjects.  Total cost ~ about $2.00

No comments:

Post a Comment