Thursday, August 30, 2012

Can't Believe it is August 30th!!!

I can't believe that I start school in just a few days. Some friends have already started and I wish you all the best ... but I am very glad I start after Labor Day :)

I hadn't been posting in awhile because I wasn't sure if anyone was finding my blog useful.  A friend I teach with said she knew someone following the blog so here I am- I'm updating for  you! Please leave your comments or join my blog. I would love to hear what you all think and if you have tried something that works!

The Mystery of the Monarch page has been updated- excited things happening today! Click to find out.  I also got into my room and was able to start creating my learning spaces and hanging up all of my new fun polka dot themed materials and resources. They look great!  I'll share them here. As always, check out my Favorite Websites and Blogs page so that I can give credit where credit is due. I find that my ideas are fueled by others  ~ Thanks to all of those great blogs out there! And Pinterest of course. :)

Daily 5 board- I found the Dr. Seuss Bags at Target in the Dollar Area. The bags hold the different center activities. This will make it easy, hopefully, for students to quickly take the bag and return to their work area.

Our Common Core Language Arts Units contain essential questions. I was fortunate to be part of the Curriculum writing team and feel as though I could recite the standards in my sleep! I laminated the conversation bubbles so I could write the questions for each unit. As we discover the answers, the students can add their thinking to sticky notes and add them to the correct person...I think :) We will see how this goes. hahaha

My friend Casey and I came up with this idea while shopping and laminating at Lakeshore Learning! Each student will have a ring with an index card with their name on it.  When they finish a book, they grab another index card and answer one of the essential questions from that particular unit.  It is a great way to assess and also keep track of student reading. The fourth grade teachers, Kathie and Kim, do something very similar - so this will be great consistency!  These are all new ideas- I'll keep you updated on how they actually end up working. 

I saw this idea when I was a sub years ago. These are math exploration bins. So helpful in the beginning of the year- these bins are small and include MANY math manipulatives from flash cards to clocks, place value cards to counters.  There are enough materials for at least 6 students to have their own materials or to share. 

AHHHHH the beach! I love the ocean and at one time thought I would end up being a marine biologist! I love sharing my collection of ocean items.  They come in handy when we practice telling not showing writing and are great for quick writes!

Our school is a PBIS (positive behavior) school and we use 1-2-3 magic (a great program also offered for parents). This is my "relaxation area". I still need to unpack a few items but here are the basics. I also have a box for students to write me notes. Sometimes the notes are from shy students.  I also use it as a Tattle/Tell Box. If a student is unsure if he/she is tattling or telling they write it down and we discuss later. Many children have difficulty at this young age with figuring out the difference.

STAMINA STATION! Total cost- $1.00! I used an old plastic plate, recycled foam, and clothespins.  I hope it stays up on the wall- it is a bit heavy! 

Tired Words and Word Family Sliders
Word pockets hold synonyms for many "tired words" such as good and happy. As we discover rich vocabulary we add to the pockets.  The sliders are made out of recycled envelopes and index cards.  I will take a close up photo soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment