Thursday, April 21, 2016

Glad To Be Back!

So much has happened since my last post and I am glad to be back and ready to share all of the great things happening in second grade and in the adventures that have happened in the past few years.  

In February I got engaged! I was super surprised and we have been excitedly planning a November, 2016 wedding in CT.  Here is my amazing Fiance! 

(Photo Credit Stephanie Pavone Mills Photography. www.spmillsphotography.com) 


Now back to the blog. I am now in my 8th year teaching second grade in East Providence, RI.  Our school has undergone some changes lately and as is education, new programs and curricula.  This year we dove into Amplify's Core Knowledge Language Arts Program.  At first I was a bit hesitant but once I started seeing the way the my students were thinking and discovering information I was hooked.  We just finished a unit on the US Civil War and ended in a class debate. I might be a little biased but hearing 2nd graders debate about whether the south should have seceded in the first place was incredible!  My second graders were researching at the library on their own! They were talking at lunch about Gettysburg. I even had one student try to convince his parents to go to Gettysburg instead of Disney this summer. He wrote a letter with reasons as to why they should go! 
I've always had one huge goal as a teacher- instill the love of learning in my students and with the help of this program, it has been an exciting year! 


No comments:

Post a Comment