Sunday, June 23, 2013

Reading Week Fun!

I feel as though I have neglected my blog as end of year craziness set in around April. I received an inspirational email from a new teacher who was using my blog as a guide to her first year in teaching. What an amazing complement.  So to all of you out there enjoying this space for me to share- thank you for your emails and hope to see some of your blogs out there soon! 

Reading Week this year was a blast. We used the text Miss Alaineus: A Vocabulary Disaster by Debra Frasier as a focus text. Go to her website here for everything you need.  For those of you who have not yet read this book it is about a student who mishears and misunderstands a weekly vocabulary word. The book is full of vocabulary blunders that the kids love.  The artwork is equally as wonderful.  

We held our Reading Week the week right after April Vacation. Students had the week off to come up with a vocabulary word and create a costume.  The entire school participated and the results were amazing! Unfortunately, many of our students can't be on the web otherwise I would have shared the vocabulary parade video. But, here are a few pictures. I made the giant dictionary out of boxes from the new tables. Our custodian is great and knows I will come up with a use for anything. :-) 

Melancholy- She wore all black and walked around all day with a frown! So creative! 
Idea- He covered a box with tin foil and taped a light bulb on top. Very original! 


No comments:

Post a Comment