Sunday, May 4, 2014

Testing time interrupted....

We all know that testing has been a very hot button topic lately. There are many forms of assessment and yes, sometimes kids have to sit down and take a test. :) Just as my kids sat down for their big end of unit science test we head a loud grinding noise.....and then a jack hammer....and then a huge machine rolled up next to our window.  I spoke with my kids about distractions and that this would be perfect practice with zoning out the background noise and staying focused on the task at hand. Five minutes in even I couldn't concentrate.  The kids all wanted to watch so over to the windows we went. :)

Earlier in the year we studied simple machines and at the end of the unit they had to build, with Legos, a machine that could help us do something.  Our challenge began...how many simple machines can you find?  They named a ton! I was so impressed.  
This was the beginning of what became a 2 hour long adventure in my classroom. The road was sawed, jack hammered, dug up, pipes lined up, and concrete poured.  Needless to say, the test was saved until the afternoon and it was a perfect lesson in flexibility.  But, it does make me reflect on the high stakes testing we have to administer. In that situation I would not have been able to put the test away and use it as a teachable moment. The test would have gone on with an incredible amount of distraction for children.  

I have always been a firm believer that if you are going to complain about something, you should try to fix it.  I was speaking to a colleague about our "teachable moment" and she mentioned that in some cities, construction like this is completed after school hours. They actually plan their construction in school areas around the school schedules. How amazing is that?! Maybe something we should look into? :)





No comments:

Post a Comment