Sunday, March 3, 2013

Great Resource

I want to say a quick thanks to my sister-in-law at Mrs Lodges Library for the shout-out about my new blog! She is incredibly inventive with her teaching and creates materials for her students that they can truly interact with.  I even came home one day (to my childhood bedroom) to find 7 foot Dr. Suess Truffula trees covering my bed! It was like walking into the story! :)  I also wanted to mention that my brother helped her create a game called Shelve-It that teaches children how to further understand call numbers. Check it out and let her know what you think!

This year our city adopted the Common Core State standards (CCSS-another teacher acronym haha) for math and language arts.  I have been fortunate to be a part of the curriculum writing team for language arts.  Through the many hours of research we found a great resource website. It is called K-12 Reader Reading Instruction Resources for Teachers and Parents.  Although they have many great materials, I wanted to talk about their spelling program. They have 36 week programs for grades k-5. Most of the lists include sight words, pattern words, and academic challenge words. Our students love this system and it mostly matches up to our ELA program.You can print out any week you need. You don't need to necessarily go in the order they created. The site also has dictation sentences for the spelling test.

I just uploaded the worksheets I made for these spelling lists to TpT. Each week/spelling pattern has a two page worksheet with 4-5 activities. Check out the document here on TpT. 


No comments:

Post a Comment