Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Math Manipulatives

Our current math program calls for the use of a lot of manipulatives. I am a firm believer that students at this age and developmental level rely heavily on the use of manipulatives.  I do find about 25% don't want to use the materials because they know how to solve the problem in other ways or as they say "faster ways". I usually have these students show me they know how to do it and then allow them to use their own way to solve.  It is important that students learn many ways to solve problems and then independently choose the strategy that works best for them. 

For this particular lesson, students were just starting to learn about arrays, making rows and columns, and understanding that this represents multiplication.    On a previous worksheet, the students were asked to draw lines to represent the rows. I thought this group was so creative. Although I didn't ask them to draw the rows, they used their pencils! So creative. Just another reminder that allowing students to be creative always leads to something great! (my apologies for the crooked picture...looks like columns here :-) )


No comments:

Post a Comment