Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Reading Week 2014!

I love reading week...maybe because it is the week before vacation....maybe because I love books.....

This year we continued our tradition of a Miss Alaineus parade.  If you haven't read the book by Debra Frasier, put it on your list! Check out her website here. It is a great book about a student who mistakes the word "miscellaneous" and it leads to a classroom catastrophe! It is a great book for vocabulary studies.  For the parade, all of the students pick a word and represent it in some way. This is one of a few things we do at school where the kindergarten is as excited as the fifth grade! Unfortunately, I can't put up their pictures but you can check out other parades on Debra Frasier's website. This year our staff decided to pick characters from The Wizard of Oz and then choose a word that represents that character. I was the yellow brick road and my word was journey. These pictures I can post :)

We also added the "Guess the Young Reader" board this year.  Teachers and staff provided pictures of them reading as youngsters with their favorite book. Students had to put a name to a face. It was a blast! (I'm number three!)

No comments:

Post a Comment